6/12/12

Trimming My Family Tree

Where did all these folks come from?   Who knew there would be so many people to acknowledge on a persons Family Tree?   Where does one start picking off leaves or chopping off brances?

And to think, when I first started growing My Family Tree, I never ever would have thought I'd find so many ancestors that I'd have to 'Trim The Tree'.

 I've always thought of 'My Tree' as a Mesquite Tree.  It's a hardy and prolific plant found in West Texas with deep tap roots and what can be anywhere from two feet scrubby shrubs to thirty foot trees.   I've often referred to myself as the 'First Bean' of my Dad's Branch/Twig and my Siblings as Beans Two, Three, Four and Five.

About those Mesquite Beans...they have been known as a food source.  Dried and ground beans have been made into flour which adds a sweet, nutty taste to breads or used in jelly or wine.  It is unwise to eat these beans raw unless you are a heifer or steer.  Yep, they love those green beans and snap them right off the tree.  Now you know how they got to be the most prolific plant in Texas. 
Now don't misunderstand my 'Prolific Bean Theory' as a comparison to my 'Prolific Production of Ancestors'.  It wasn't until the 1890's that they were exposed to the Texas Mesquite Tree, and as you can see from the 'Grandparent Chart', just about any Tree can handle that number of Branches, Twigs and Beans.  It's the Great Great's To Infinity that are cluttering up my Tree...not to mention my BeanBrain!  Why, there are so many 'GG's2InFin' that I have invented 'TAGS' that say Profile Done....afterall you only need to DigEm Up Once.
So where do I draw the Family Tree Pruning Line?
How many 'Great Great's 2 Infinity' Ancestors do I need to know?
I think 5X Great Grandparents John Ichabod and Mary Polly Rowe Pittman ought to do it!
Afterall, diggin' around in Colonial America has turned up some really neat stuff!
Although, finding Mary Polly Rowe's 5XGreat Grandparents in Scotland is tempting!
Just think Sue...10X Great Grandparents...WOW!!!
NEVER MIND!!!!!
Click HERE for More
Family Tree Stories/Posts

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting question. I don't mind collecting as many great greats as there are. Where I get bogged down is the collateral lines. I collect those names hoping they'll lead me to information about my direct line. But really, how far do I go? How much do I need to know? It makes me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got that disease at the early age of eight. Can you believe it? And, then when I "got" my husband he fell right into it with me.

    I thought you were tracking back to Adam and Eve? ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite thing to do! Love going back as far as I can, but I like to spend the time getting to really know them. Lucky to have 16 Grandfathers that were in the Rev War. Some I feel i know all so well, others I just know their name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good to hear from you Sue. I so love all your genealogy shares.

    There has to be an end ... we stopped in the 1400s, 1600s, 1700s on several 'arms' of the trees. Lordy, one can get lost forever searching every 'branch' they find ... & love every single moment of the research ... but again, there has to be an end.

    The hard part is the 'not looking further' on what you have found. We are now doing addendum's.

    Two great finds were my direct ancestors (cousins) were the only 2 men hung a Tory spies in the Am. Rev. & in the Civil War it was hubby's maternal g'pa who served as a minister with Lee at surrender in Appamatox & his paternal g'pa made shoes for the Civil War soldiers (hopefully the RIGHT side).

    The search is always on the tip of your fingers & life ... & off & running when peaked.

    You have done a lovely job of keeping me interested in your lineage also.

    Have a beautiful day ~
    TTFN ~
    Hugs,
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.