6/6/13

Treasure Chest Thurs...With This Ring

"The ring, please.  now repeat after me...
With this ring I thee wed."
 
Those words are spoken by ministers, judges and even Elvis', about 2.3 million times a year in the US.  That's around 6,200 I Do's x 2 a Day.  Brides are on the average, 25 years of age while their grooms are a bit older at 27 years old...on average. 
 
The age stats kind of surprised me.  Probably because in my 'Here Comes the Bride' mindset...it's 1965 and my ring finger was 18 years 11 months and 27 days old.  That figures out to December 27, 1965...24 days before my 19th birthday.  Now if you are doing the math, that's going on 48 years ago when 'good girls'...as my Mama often said...waited for 'The Ring', and D I V O R C E was a country and western song.   When I stop and think about it, the Generation Bride Gap keeps getting wider in just about every aspect of 'With this ring'. 
 
I can't even imagine what my 'Ancestor Brides' would think about the 'Marriage Mindset' of today and the differences in the 'With this Ring' ceremonies and The Ring itself.

For the month of June, my Ancestor research has focused on marriage.  It is very rewarding to find documentation and family data with dates and sometimes original marriage licenses or entries in family Bibles, but dates and document data alone make for a boring read. 

So, as my Family Historian Story Teller, my family and readers expect more than just dates and data.   My Ghost Writer Aunt Savannah has been a positive influence on toning down my 'Outrageous 21st Century Vocabulary...as she explains in The Great Awakening...My Kids Are Heathens.  With that said, Here Comes The Ancestor Bride....stories.

7 comments:

  1. Very informative post. I never gave this a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love weddings and wedding traditions! I was a June bride and will be celebrating 4 years of marriage June 13th! Loved this post!

    ~Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  3. My great grandmother married when she was only 13 years old. I was 24

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marriage is a-changing, that's for sure :)

    PS.. love the idea for your site and now that I've bookmarked it, I'll "bring" my boys over one of these days.

    Two of our three boys are Texans, the other is Hawaiian.

    (Can you say Military Family :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting stats ... different world anymore ... we just celebrated 52.
    TTFN ~
    Hugs,
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sue - times have certainly changed. Interesting snippets and ideas you've brought out ..

    Your postings will be wonderful for your family to read now and in the future ..

    I wonder when rings actually came into being as a wedding symbol .. the Common Prayer book is 1662 .. but how long before that ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of doing a bunch of wedding posts for June. So clever.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.